2011년 9월 1일 목요일

About my writing

     I have learned to write since I was young and I usually enjoyed writing down my thoughts. When I entered middle school, I learned that there were a lot more types of writing and started to write research papers, editorials, poems, and even bed-time stories for my cousins. After experiencing diverse methods of writing, I figured out that my style was writing short and brief points and sentences. Also, I preferred to use simple words because when I write with high-level vocabulary, I make mistakes from time to time and my readers have more difficulty understanding them. Nowadays, I’m trying hard to make my sentences longer with more details and try to use difficult words to improve my vocabulary skills.
     Everyone has their own strength and weaknesses in writing, but until I took Mr. Johnson’s class, I only knew what my weak points were and sometimes I even thought I didn’t have any strength. Mr. Johnson told me that my contents and organization was great and I was stunned by what he said. However, after hearing his comments, I gained some confidence and liked writing even more. Also, I can come up with various examples for my works, whether they are first-hand experiences or factual ones. My weaknesses were grammar and word choice. As I mentioned above, I have problems with grammar because I didn’t learn them but just became used to it by listening to others speaking English. I try hard to use sophisticated words but sometimes I use words that make the sentence sound weird. I hope I can fix these problems while I’m listening to Mr. Garrioch’s class.
     I would like to write without making limitations by myself. I know that if I work a little bit harder than usual, I can improve my writing skills. Yet, I stop in the middle and make limits, but I’m going to change and do my best to break my boundaries. Plus, I’m hoping I could develop my grammar and be happy about writing, not stressful because it’s homework.
     In this term, I don’t want to write long essays and reports like the one I did last term. That took too long and I received a lot of stress while doing it. On the other hand, I would really like to write about myself and imaginary stories. I know myself the best and I couldn’t get time to think over myself recently, so it would be such a valuable time for me. Also, I want to come up with stories and activate my imagination. While preparing for KMLA and after living for a term, I realized that I lived a desolate life and I want to change this. I don’t want to be carried away by school work but I would like to really enjoy the things I’m doing and this kind of writing will help me return to the times when I was young and creative. I wish this class will be fun!

댓글 1개:

  1. Good clear writing. I'm very happy Mr. J had you guys take on the big research paper, as it is very important to gain that experience early, and, to be honest, I'd rather not teach that. I'm hoping to get you guys writing more freely and continuously, while hopefully developing "voice" and flow. You write that you are working towards getting better flow, while also adopting more vocabulary. That's great, but do keep in mind that you should never have to force your writing to be more complex than it needs to be. I think it's best to keep reading and learning vocabulary, and letting it enter your writing naturally. That's why I think writing freely on a blog and reading as much as possible will benefit your writing holistically. Let it happen! Don't fret or force it. Your grammar is pretty solid so I think you have a good basis for improvement.

    답글삭제